Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bienvenue á Paris!

Hey guys! This is Kayla speaking...We're finally in Paris! I know I speak for the rest of the team when I say it has been an overwhelming couple of days. I am so excited to be here, but kinda nervous at the same time as we prepare our hearts to share the gospel with the students of Paris. It's definitely been a culture shock for a lot of us. Aside from the language barrier, Parisians just have a certain way of doing things, keeping quiet, not taking up too much space, and walking EVERYWHERE (including up and down several flights of stairs to get to our elevator-less apartments). So it's been an interesting adjustment.


Just a little background for y'all, I came into this trip having studied French from 8th grade through high school, plus a semester in college, so it's been really cool getting to apply that for real here in France. I've enjoyed helping the team so far too, ordering food, asking for directions and what-not. I feel really blessed that God led me to study French when I did, because now I get to use it on project!

In the midst of all that, we've already breezed by and seen the outside of the Louvre, Notre Dame, various iconic landmarks on our 3-hour bike tour, and of course, the Eiffle Tower. I know I was amazed at the magnitude and beauty of all these places. For the French, art and human intellect have enormous meaning, and it's becoming my heart's desire to see these things reflect on them the magnitude and beauty of our Creator, the supreme creator of beauty itself, and for that to hold meaning and purpose in the lives of the Parisians.

As overwhelming as the culture has been, the prospect of taking the next step, going to a French college campus, and initiating coversations and friendships with Parisian students is also a little nerve-wracking. At this point a lot of us agree that we don't really know what to expect or even how to approach these students. The norms are so different from when some of us go sharing in the United States, and some of us hardly have experience with this kind of evangelism. With that in mind, we are reminded that we are completely inadequate without the Lord. One of the challenges our team leader Chris set before us is to place ourselves in situations where we have to be completely dependent on the Spirit to guide us...so this is it! I'm looking forward to getting briefed by the STINT (Short Term International) team about the campus and how to approach students there.

We may be tired and maybe even a little scared, but our small group of 12 is mighty and on fire for the Lord. Jesus commanded that we "make disciples of -all- nations" (Matt. 28:19). We've answered the call, we're here in France. I'm excited to see what God does in and through us now!

Peace and Love,
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment